That from Deacon Greg Kandra, reacting to ABC's new Catholic bashing TV show slated to premiere in the fall. He's got a trailer up that I find disgusting and far from funny.
That this kind of garbage is allowed to air on a major network, particularly one owned by Disney, speaks volumes to how low the culture has sunk. But we can't be surprised given who the show's executive producer is.
"The most incredibly vicious anti-Catholic in America is Dan Savage. What he has said about Catholicism is so vile that Disney would never air it. To offer this malicious bigot a show is the height of irresponsibility."
- Bill Donohue, President, Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights
“Unfortunately, Dan Savage's public persona is completely opposite to wholesome role model for kids. His crass and even vitriolic disparaging of certain faiths and family values, and his aggressive agenda of promoting dangerous, deviant sexual experimentation couldn't have escaped Disney's or ABC's attention. To see the network that brought us Cinderella endorse a man like this should outrage every American who cares about our children and our culture.”
- Lila Rose, President, Live Action
"Dan Savage recently made a lewd smear against Pope John Paul II on Twitter in which he accused him of being a child molester. This is sadly typical of Dan Savage, who has a history of making X-rated personal attacks. Why would Disney hire this man for one of their TV shows? And why would advertisers want to be associated with such vile attacks on Catholics?"
- Brian Burch, President, CatholicVote.org
"These thugs will 'savage' Catholics for their religious beliefs, and then put on fundraisers to advocate tolerance for any other minority. This hits a new low for an industry that has sunk to the depths of depravity and religious hatred. The two halves of the First Amendment fit together. Those who claim free speech for the news and entertainment media, yet freely discriminate against Catholics, forget that there is no authentic free speech if there is no freedom of religion. The First Amendment will not stand in a society that has no respect for its citizens' religious beliefs."
- Patrick J. Reilly, President, The Cardinal Newman Society
"Dan Savage has said some of the most vile and disgusting things about Christians that have ever been heard in America. He has publicly encouraged sexual violence against them and said they were deserving of death by torture. The fact that ABC would voluntarily work with such an extreme person to promote his immoral, hateful agenda is problematic in the extreme."
- John-Henry Westen, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief, LifeSiteNews
"Dan Savage is called a pro-gay activist but what I know of him is that he is against just about everything, including the family. Disney will likely feel its decision to base a show on his life where it hurts the most - in its deep pockets."
- Father Frank Pavone, President, Priests for Life
“Dan Savage’s hatred for those with whom he disagrees is a matter of public record, as are his many vile taunts and fantasies. If ABC does give him a platform from which to further spread his venom, then let this be the end of the claim that ‘neutral’ media such as ABC just want to promote tolerance. Anti-Christian bigotry is absolutely alright with ABC, so let’s do away with the pretense that this is just about entertainment.”
- Stephen Phelan, Director of Mission Communications, Human Life International
"The idea that the vulgar, insulting, outrageous Dan Savage would rate consideration for a sitcom on ABC Disney only confirms the obvious fact that, culturally, our nation is in a moral free fall. What other reason could there be for partnering with a man who has spent much of his adult life insulting God, His followers, and His Church? How low will society go before courageous Americans stand up and say enough? The time is now to raise our voices. Join us in opposing this most recent embrace of media bigotry that has no place in a civilized nation."
- Judie Brown, President, American Life League Inc.
“Disney sold out years ago, but to produce a show based on the life of a radical bigot like Dan Savage is a slap in the face to Catholics across the country. The Lepanto Institute is more than happy to join in the campaign against this program. Anti-Family propaganda like this must never see the light of day.”
- Michael Hichborn, President, Lepanto Institute
What else might you need to know about Mr. Savage?
Dan Savage has made numerous comments about conservatives, evangelicals, and Catholics that offend basic standards of decency. They include:
- Proclaiming that he sometimes thinks about “f***ing the shit out of” Senator Rick Santorum
- Calling for Christians at a high school conference to “ignore the bulls*** in the Bible”
- Saying that “the only thing that stands between my d*** and Brad Pitt’s mouth is a piece of paper” when expressing his feelings on Pope Benedict’s opposition to gay "marriage"
- Promoting marital infidelity
- Saying “Carl Romanelli should be dragged behind a pickup truck until there’s nothing left but the rope.”
- Telling Bill Maher that he wished Republicans “were all f***ing dead”
- Telling Dr. Ben Carson to “suck my d***. Name the time and place and I’ll bring my d*** and a camera crew and you can s*** me off and win the argument."
I have to believe that Walt Disney is spinning in his grave given Disney's ownership of a network that would have anything to do with Dan Savage.
How low can we go as a society?
Very. very low.